Share This Post
Be Kind to Your Heart
Hearts abound in February. It’s a time to love others and love yourself in the spirit of Valentine’s Day, but did you know that February is also National Heart Month? Making changes in your life to protect your heart health is essential for your well-being. Overcoming addiction is a step in the right direction. In fact, many of the same strategies for good heart health also benefit addiction recovery and help reduce risk of relapse.
Here are a few ways you can be more kind to your heart this month and beyond:
- Eat a well-balanced diet that is rich with fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. Try to reduce sodium and saturated fats which are prevalent in processed and pre-packaged foods.
- Get moving! Aim to incorporate at least 30 minutes of exercise into your day a minimum of five days per week. If this is hard at first, start slowly and work your way up. Mix things up with running, brisk walking, swimming, yoga, bike riding, doing cardio or weights, and engaging in other activities.
- Quit smoking if you haven’t already. Smoking is hard on your heart and lungs, but within just hours and days of quitting, your health begins to improve.
- Make sure you’re getting adequate sleep each night. This allows your body to heal and re-energize. Too little sleep (or too much) has been linked to a greater risk of developing heart disease.
- Engage in activities to reduce overall stress as well, such as meditation, yoga, exercise, listening to music, journaling, reading, or whatever you find calming and relaxing.
As you can see, these are many of the same strategies you’re encouraged to incorporate into your addiction recovery. They have multiple benefits in many aspects of your life. JC’s Recovery Center can help you get on the right path to overcoming addiction and improving your overall well-being at the same time. Strengthen your faith, reduce risk of relapse, and build a thriving life in recovery that makes you happy.
[cta] Leave a comment and let us know some of your favorite heart-healthy activities! [/cta]